Thursday, January 7, 2010

Handmade Christmas

Wooden Blocks with initials and Christmas Tree holder from Dad Sam
Each year, while growing up, we received a handmade wood toy or decoration. My father is an amazing self-taught wood worker and is one of the most creative people I know. He would come up with unique toys each year, that fit our tastes and interests. One year I got a mini baby cradle because I was into babies. The year I got my first Big Wheel (tricycle), on Christmas morning a little wooden Big Wheel was my gift. I still have these and love getting them out with other Christmas decorations.
Maybe it is because of this tradition that homemade gifts mean so much to me. This year we received some wonderful gifts that I just had to share.

Beautiful felt bags sewn by my sister-in-law, Shawna (also filled with goodies)

My brother, Stephen, made these wooden tops for all of his nieces and nephews, except the babies (17 in all!) They are beautiful and work really well! We have races to see whos goes the longest.


I love these so much! Little rolling toys for Felix. They are made only with wood. The elephants little ears are leather and the mouses tail is twine. He even told me that he didn't stain them so they would be safe for Felix to suck on-which he certainly does!




1 comment:

hayley said...

Those tops are so cool! And that dog made out of socks is adorable.