Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pool/Swim Bag

I love this project so much. It was meant to be. I have needed a giant swim bag for a long time. When we go to the pool we have so much stuff: goggles, towels, sunscreen, water, snacks, swim diapers, clothes, keys, phone, money/wallet, etc. I have been using a huge Ikea bag where everything just goes to the bottom where I have to search forever to find it. So, I needed a big bag (to fit at least 5 towels + other stuff). I LOVE pockets, so I want t pocket for everything.
I got this fabric (2 yards) for $4.00 and used every bit of it, plus some scraps from other projects.
 I put in small handles and long straps for multiple ways to carry the bag. There are side pockets on both sides on the outside (they are huge). I also put in some boning (okay, they were old metal hangers) in the bias I sewed to each corner for some stability.
 Have you seen the infomercial for the Kangaroo Keeper? It is so brilliant. The lady stuffs a whole pile of stuff into a tiny purse using this implement to organize everything into pockets. This is what I wanted. I put loops on one side for water bottles, sunscreen, etc. One side has little pockets for keys, cell, sunglasses. Then there are still two other smallish pockets for goggles, snacks, wallet, etc.
 Then still plenty of room for towels and whatever else we might need. I reinforced the bottom with some heavy cardboard wrapped in duct tape (for waterproofing). It is super sturdy. Maybe a little too structured? Not sure yet.
It really is huge, but I think it turned out okay. I guess by the end of the summer I will have figured out what changes I should've made.
What bag do you take to the pool? Do you have the same frustrations as I do? Do you have a bag that you love?

5 comments:

Tiffani said...

I love the bag, especially the pockets inside and the very smart use of a hanger!

hayley said...

Wow, looks amazing! I have been wanting a pool bag. I love the pockets, but would be torn about the whole bag being waterproof with all the wet stuff going back in. Although that fabric is super cute! Way to go

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I would like to commission one of these. Since you don't have enough to do on your own.
Do you think it would work with oil cloth? If you have time, you tell me how much and I will send money and love flying your way.
How is it that I have 1 child and no time to even get my teeth brushed and you can invent and carry out crafts with 4? Impressive!

Laura said...

Love the bag! I think bigger is better, there never seems to be enough room in our beach bag. Now we have traded our beach bag for a pool bag (same bag, different location). I usually have to have the kids carry their towels because theirs no room in the bag.

Jennifer said...

Love it! You rock, Melissa.

Did you mention being interested in some kind of craft trade? Or, like Katie, can I commission a bag? I need a cute bag that is bigger than a purse, smaller than a diaper bag.

I need that red airplane bag I got at container store years ago. Too bad Todd ran over with with the car...