Tuesday, August 7, 2012

beautiful growing things

 For Mothers Day I go to the nursery and buy some garden starts and a bunch of flowers. It makes me so happy for months and months to watch my plants grow.
I was going to get an overall picture of my back patio covered with flowers and delicious herbs and vegetables, but these triple digit temperatures are making everything look a little parched.
 Tomatillos for the first time. Looking good! Something I found out is that the husk grows first to the size of a billiard ball (maybe a bit smaller, what kind of ball would that be?), then the tomatillo grows inside. By feeling the husk, it seems that the tomatillos are about the size of grape tomatoes inside. What a little treasure. If you have never had a tomatillo, they taste like limey tomatoes to me. They are great in salsa!
 Look at these Tigerella tomatoes. I got a start from my brother who bought heirloom seeds a few years ago, then keeps the seeds and grows starts each year. That is dedication. I just bum the starts off of him.
This is a lovely flower that I found this year that is called Ice plant. It flourished squished into a large pot with Snapdragons, Violas, and Veronica. The greenery is succulent and the leaves feel like cow tongues. Kindof textured and squishy. I LOVE this plant.
I will have to remember to look at these pictures during the long dreary wintertime.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Those Tigerella tomatoes are so tasty and sweet too! I remember getting some from him a few years ago. Nice jobs growing things, I'm afraid my little pot of tomatoes isn't doing quite so well. I'll have to get some tips from you guys.