Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Science Experiments (or Killing Time and Making a Mess)

The other day I realized that everyone was super bored and starting to get on each others nerves. It was early afternoon and I refused to let them turn on the T.V. I started my "I feel like I am cheating you out of your childhoods when I let you watch T.V. on a beautiful summer day" lecture, then decided to actually temp them outside.
We did the standby cornstarch and water experiment. Always a good one. Heck, I could play with it for hours. "It's a liquid, it's a solid, liquid, solid" etc.
We also made "slime", using up all of our Elmers glue we had bought for school supplies.

Lydia "sneezing" out green slime. Also, last year we found out the slime makes awesomely awful noises when sqeezed into a cup. Zoe has quite a knack for it.
We also did some vinegar and baking soda eruptions.
We did this little color wheel experiment where we started out with only the primary colors in water then placed paper towels going from the cup into the secondary cups that were empty. This one did take awhile. The kids were not excited about sitting around watching the colored water get sucked up into the paper towels.
We had some neighborhood friends stop by. They chose the right day to visit. Where we were having lots of fun keeping busy instead of the normal day where I am yelling for them to "go outside and enjoy your childhood!"

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am constantly telling my kids to go outside and use their imaginations, and the other day Ethan asks me, "what's remagination mean?"
My kids would love the slime. Does it stain clothes at all?

Jennifer said...

My kids asked to make slime this morning (since we just replenished our glue stash), and I logged on here to see if I could find your post from last year. Awesome! Thanks.

Love the color wheel. We'll be doing that, too!