Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Repurposed dress to skirt

Someone gave us this little corduroy dress that is cute, though really not Zoe's style. She does have a skirt that she loves and wears all the time. So I thought, why don't I make the dress into something she can wear.
I took the favorite skirt and laid it right on the dress, cutting it out with some extra for seam allowances (also I made it a little longer so she could wear it with tights as well as leggings). Put on a waistband and a zipper and button in back. Some little detailed pockets in the front, done.
So, I thought it looks really cute on her. She has not worn it yet. In fact it took her over a week JUST to try it on (I was going crazy, but I have learned not to push  :) She doesn't have a lot to wear it with. I don't know if she will wear it, but at least I got it out of my system.

3 comments:

hayley said...

Zoe is so lucky to have a mom that sews! For girls its all about the fit, even if it's ugly fabric, if it fits well it looks awesome! I'm not saying the fabric from that dress is ugly:) I just know growing up with four girls and a mom that sewed we looked well dressed at a fraction of the price because my mom altered everything! keep up the good work. Melissa, you really do have it going on:) and it baffles me, could you please come back, I'm struggling with RS committee leader, hehe:)

Amie said...

inspiring!

Todd said...

So cute! You are amazing, Melissa.